Monday, February 18, 2008

Mumia

Hey all I also thought that since we all finished up our book reviews I thought it kind of appropriate to write a little bit about Murdered by Mumia. I had heard bits and pieces about the Philly cop Danny Faulkner and how he was murdered but had never really taken the time to get to know the facts because well, to be honest I didn't care. I thought that it didn't affect me in anyway so whats the point. Then over the summer I started to work at the Wachvia Center and while working there I met Patrick Faulkner. He was Danny's nephew. Anyway we got to talking and he talked me to about the frustation of people not knowing the facts and walking around supporting a cause when they don't have all the information. So then when I heard about Maureen (Danny's wife) was coming out with a book telling her side I was intrieged. My mom brought my sisters and I to the book signing and we met with Michael Smerconish and Maureen; they really seemed like great sencere people. Anyway the book basically starts off at the beginnning they met in Avalon in 1979 datetd and were married. Danny was murdered in December 1981. They were only married for a little over a year. Mumia Abu-Jamal shot Danny when Danny pulled his brother William Cook over for driving down the wrong way on a one way street. He was sentenced to death in 1982 but has had many supporters saying that he didn't do it. It's gone as far as supporters in France naming a street after him. Basically each chapter goes through the facts of what the defense is saying and then what Maureen is saying. Mumia was granted three PCRA Hearings in 1995, 1996, and 1997 to try and convince a judge that he was innocent and everytime has failed, yet his support keeps growing. There are just so many people out there that just don't know the facts. The whole thing has gotten completely out of hand and I just think that Maureen did a great job writing this. She has been fighting this case now for 25 years and will continue for as long as she needs to. Now that I have read the book I realize that the case and supporters really are everywhere; I just didn't notice it before because I was unaware. I don't know thats my opinion but if you guys are looking for a great book to read I suggest this one, I couldn't put it down.

No comments: